Sunday, September 20, 2009

Sunday Sermon

Tonight I have started reading a book by Tony Evans called "No More Excuses". The first chapter was about no longer living in the past and letting the past control what happens in your future. It tells the story of Joseph in the book of Genesis, of how he used his past to help mold his future which ultimately became his legacy. That is what we as men need to try to do, use our past to help build a better future. Use our past mistakes in a positive way to help mold our future. To help raise our families up properly, to become better husbands, fathers, and leaders in our community. One thing that I got from this chapter that has stuck in my head - Don't let what is in your "backyard" rule what happens in your "front yard". Meaning don't let your past dominate you, control you, to where it makes every decision you make a difficult one. The goal is to live your life in a Godly way, to make every moment count, to make sure everyone knows what you stand for. That is what - unfortunately - I haven't been doing. Well from here on out, I will. I will lead my life, my marriage, my family, to do what is right in God's eyes. To look at things differently. I might not be able to change what is in my "backyard", but I can definitely change what happens in my front by using my past mistakes to mold my future.

No comments: